Check out some of Washington, D.C.’s craziest local laws!
We’re not certain how these laws all originated, but there must be some pretty interesting stories behind them. Here are seven of D.C.’s craziest laws!
1. You can get a parking ticket for parking in your driveway.
I know — this seems absolutely absurd, right? But it seems that someone thought it needed to exist, for whatever reason …
2. People can’t wear a ski mask while committing a crime.
So, apparently, the actual committing of the crime isn’t that big of a deal. But if you decide to conceal your identity, then prepare for some sirens!
3. It’s illegal to marry your mother-in-law.
I can’t imagine your spouse would ever want to do this anyway, but if it ever happened, at least you could rest easy knowing that D.C. laws have your back!
4. If you kill a sasquatch, you’re guilty of a misdemeanor and can be fined, put in jail, or both.
I had to read this one twice! Apparently, if you find a sasquatch and decide to kill it, you’re going to be in big trouble, mister.
5. D.C. residents couldn’t vote in presidential elections before 1961.
Sounds strange that people living in the nation’s capital couldn’t vote for who would be running the nation’s capital … But, what can you do? The Electoral College can be a cruel mistress!
6. You can’t post a notice that calls someone a “coward” for refusing a duel.
A bit antiquated if you ask me, but it seems like D.C. was ahead of its time when it came to anti-bullying!
7. It’s illegal to put out a false weather report.
Looks like D.C. meteorologists better look out!
Do you know of any other crazy laws in D.C.? Drop a comment and let us know!