Watch the skies over the Potomac light up during Christmas Illuminations, the annual celebration at Mount Vernon.
Infuse your holiday season with a bit of history and some incredible family fun! Mount Vernon will come alive with historical reenactments and festive treats before an astonishing display of fireworks. Bring the whole family out for a night you won’t soon forget!
Upon entering the grounds, you will be greeted by George and Martha Washington. Costumed artisans will be making chocolate, demonstrating blacksmithing techniques, and serving fresh apple cider. You will enjoy live music from local choirs and learn so much from costumed military reenactors from the First Virginia Regiment throughout the estate. The Museum and Education Center will also be open each night from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
WHEN: Friday–Saturday, December 14-15, 2018 | 5:30-8:45 p.m. nightly
WHERE: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway | Mount Vernon, VA
TICKETS: $30 per adult and $20 per youth without the mansion tour, available for purchase online here. You can also purchase tickets at the visitors’ center.
Know before you go:
- Bundle up! If you don’t do the mansion tour, you’ll be outside for most of the evening.
- Feel free to bring camp chairs and blankets or cushions on which to sit.
- There will be food available for purchase, including hot dogs, BBQ sandwiches, veggie wraps, sweet treats, pretzels, and more. Adults may also purchase alcoholic beverages like Applejack, wine, or spiked hot chocolate. Yum!
- Parking lots are clearly marked. Be careful not to park in the tour bus lots, and make sure to use the crosswalks.
- For $5 more, you can add a mansion tour to your ticket price.
For more information about the event, visit the Mount Vernon website.
**All photos in this article are courtesy of the Mount Vernon estate.
Have you attended a Christmas Illuminations event at Mount Vernon? Do you have any tips for first-timers? Let us know in the comments below!